When a backup job is configured to run a backup on disk based device it will shut down the server completely without any BSOD errors.Symptom: Backup Server shut down completely while running backup on RAID STORAGE (SAT3540U3ER 4-Drive USB 3.0/eSATA to 3.5' SATA RAID Enclosure)
To isolate and resolve the problem we need to follow the below steps:
1) Open Windows Device Manager and check for the USB device. It might prompt with 'system interrupt controller' message which means (The interrupt controllers ought to be part of the chipset drivers, if some driver were not installed properly then it will prompt you to reinstall it, always try installing it manually from vendor driver CD/folder.)
2) If we are unable to find the drivers then try to disable the device and run the same backup job. If the problem still persist then, review the further information.
3) Make sure Arcserve has all the latest updates and patches installed.
4) Get the latest firmware installed on the disk device.
5) When the server crash, it would create MEMORY.DMP file in Windows. This file will help you to find the cause of this issue.
6) Collect the MEMORY.DMP file (The default path is C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP or %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP.) and check the dump files.
7) To analysis the windows memory dump file you can visit the below link to download and install the debugging tool:
8) When reviewing the memory.dmp file it check if mv91xx.sys file is causing the server to reboot when the backup was triggered.
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mv91xx.sys Image name: mv91xx.sys (causing the issue) mv91xx.sys's description is 'Marvell magni Windows Driver' mv91xx.sys is digitally signed by Marvell Semiconductor. mv91xx.sys is usually located in the 'C:\Windows\system32\drivers\' folder.
It is always advisable to review the device connectivity with your hardware vendor and make sure it is compatible.
9) When these type of devices are connected to USB 3.0 controller or eSATA connector it would help to resolve the conflicts and complete the backup successful.