PRIMECLUSTER configured on Linux VMs is supported with arcserve Backup with below procedure.
Required arcserve Backup Configuration:
- Arcserve Backup Server
- VMware Proxy (Arcserve Agent for Virtual Machines to be installed)
Both of these can be on same server or different servers.
Below steps need to performed for backup of VMs:
- Make sure both the VMs that are part of PRIMECLUSTER are in Power on state and then perform VM population from VMware proxy.
- Power off the VM on which backup needs to be running and disconnect the cluster shared volume from this VM.
- Backup the VM in OFFLINE status with "raw mode" with disabling "Allow file level restore" option.
- Connect the cluster shared volume back after the successful completion of backup.
Below steps need to performed for restore of VMs:
- Before performing the restore, disconnect the clustered shared volume.
- Submit restore of VM by choosing below options
- Enable this option "Overwrite VMware VM" option if source VM is existing and disable this option "Overwrite VMware VM" if source VM does not exist
- Disable "Power on VMware or Hyper-V VM after restore" Option
- After successful restore, connect back the Cluster Shared Volume and then power on the VM.
- MAC address of recovered VM might be different after restore.
- Backup and Restore of VMs is required to be performed on Passive Nodes only. To protect active node, Switch-over the VM from Active to Passive and then proceed with the steps provided for backup.
- VM might not boot up after restore procedure in some cases with error “An error occurred during file system check ". To work-around the problem, recreate the RDM disk.