After creating a new CA XOsoft High Availability for MS SQL scenario you encounter an error indicating that the ports on the Master don't match the ports on the Replica server. This error is referencing the TCP/IP ports assigned to the IP's in the SQL Server Configuration Manager. The clients and applications connecting to the MS SQL instance are configured to initiate the connection using a specific protocol. In this case, those configured to connect using the TCP/IP protocol will connect to the Master on the TCP port that is assigned to the SQL instance on the Master. The MS SQL instance on the Replica will need to be assigned the same port number in order to be able to listen to incoming connection requests by users when a switchover occurs and the Replica becomes the active server.
The Replica instance of MS SQL will need to be assigned the same port as the Master instance of MS SQL. The users and applications will already be configured to use the port which is currently assigned to the active production server, which is typically the Master server.
- Logon to the Replica server.
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Select SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Select the Protocols for MSSQLSERVER (Or the Specific SQL instance you're trying to replicate).
- 'Right-Click' the TCP/IP Protocol and select PROPERTIES.
- Select the IP Addresses Tab.
- Remove the zero (0) from the TCP Dynamic Ports field from all the appropriate interfaces, including the IPALL field.
- Assign the same port as the Master in the TCP Port field on all the appropriate interfaces which is assigned to your SQL instance.
- Select Apply and OK.
- You will need to stop and restart the MSSQL Services to enable the changes.
- Restart the CA XOsoft scenario. The error should now no longer occur.