XOSOFT Replication: 12.0, 12.1, 12.5, 12.5.1
Last Modified Date: 11/10/2009
When you attempt to start a CA XOsoft scenario you get the error: 'Unable to start file system monitoring'. You may have also tried the 'fltmc load xomf' command to see if the XOsoft xomf driver loads independently and it failed with error 'Load failed with error: 0x80070002'. However when you run the same command from the replica, it works and a scenario replicating from Replica to Master runs without error.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to create back up of the registry and ensure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem may occur.
For more information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, please review the relevant Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on support.microsoft.com.
This error may be the result of an installation issue on the affected engine. Before following the solution below please run the following command to see if the XOMF driver loads outside of the XOSOFT application:
fltmc load xomf
If you see the error 'Load failed with error: 0x80070002' then this means it's unable to find driver xomf. Try the same command from the replica and if works there please follow the steps below to correct this problem:
- Download REGMON from Microsoft Technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx.
- Run the REGMON tool on the Master host and filter by the term 'XOMF'.
- Open up the command prompt and run the 'fltmc load xomf' command.
- It will come back with an error stating CANNOT FIND and reference registry key below:
- Run the same command on the Replica with REGMON running and filtered for XOMF.
- On the Replica, REGMON will find and display the Registry key that was missing from the Master.
- If the OS on both hosts are the same, you can export the missing registry key from the Replica and import into the Master host.
- Run 'fltmc load xomf' again and it should load successfully this time. If successful, run 'fltmc unload xomf'.
- Run your scenario and it should run without error.
If the master and replica are running different operating systems then install the engine on another machine with the same OS as the master and follow the same procedures to identify the registry key that you need.