This document explains how Computer Name Aliasing option available in RHA would help to avoid the renaming and rebooting of the replica server during the failover.
Computer Name Aliasing will allow the active Replica to stand in for the Master server without being renamed or rebooted. This lowers the complexity of the switchover process and greatly reduces the amount of time needed for the Replica server to become active and service client requests. If reboot is enabled as part of the switchover process (recommended) only the inactive Master will be rebooted once it is renamed with the '-RHA' suffix.
1. Computer Name Alias requires both DNS redirection and Switch Computer Name to be switched ON.
· DNS redirection should be switched “On”
· Switch Computer Name should be switched “On”
2. Switch Use Computer Name Alias to “On”
3. As part of the switchover process an OptionalNames value is added to the registry of the Replica server under HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanserver\parameters which is the name of the Master Sever. This setting allows the Replica to accept user requests to the Master's UNC when made active.
Note : This solution is only applicable for a file server HA scenario and would not work for any application scenarios