Description: : CA ARCserve Agent for Microsoft SQL cannot be deployed using agent deplyment and hence we need to install CA ARCserve Agent for Microsoft SQL manually using one of following two ways
A). Local installation
Map the installation media of arcserve Acessible to the SQL server
Run setup.exe from the ARCserve installation media and select 'Local' (for local installation steps 5,6&7 mentioned for remote installation are applicable)
B). Remote installation
1.Run setup.exe from the installation media
2.Select installation method as remote.
3. Add the remote SQL server and apply the credentials.
Note :- UNC path \\
4. Select the remote sql host and click 'Configure'
5. Select radio buttons Custom -> Other
6. Select Agent for Microsoft SQL server and click next
7. Specify the authentication type for the instances discovered and then click 'Next'.
8. Start the deployment by clicking 'Install'
9. Finish the agent installation
When you submit a job that includes Windows database servers, CA ARCserve Backup prompts you for a system user name and password for the system on which the database resides. CA ARCserve Backup accesses the remote servers using this user name and password.
A Microsoft SQL Server native user name and password are also required to access some database instances. When prompted by the system, enter the Microsoft SQL Server user ID and the password of the system administrator (sa), or enter a user ID and password with equivalent privileges. For more information about agent security configuration, see Configuring Microsoft SQL Server Security Settings.
sysadmin role is required to be assigned to the windows backup user within Microsoft SQL environment. This can be verified from SQL management studio
Steps to verify the SQL level permissions:-
1. SQL Management studio is required: Note: If SQL management studio is not installed click here for the procedure
2. Open SQL Management Studio:
Start =>Programs => SQL server 2008 => SQL Management Studio
Logon to the SQL instance
Security => Logins => verify if the ARCserve SQL backup account has sysadmin role assigned.
(in the below example it is sqlserver\backupuser)
- Make sure that you enable TCP and Named Pipes protocols are enabled for the sql instance (Use SQL configuration manager).
- The CA ARCserve Universal Agent has to be restarted on the remote sql server once the installation is completed.
This server has to be manually added on the backup server .
- Quickstart-> backup or Quickstart-> administration -> Central agent admin
- Right click -> Add Machine/ Object
Configure Backup account while creating or modifying a SQL backup job:-
In the Backup manager configure the sql backup account accordingly.
Expand the SQL Server
Expand the SQL Instance Platter => Security and update the credentials . Here we can specify sql user name or a windows user name which meets the requirement.
While submitting the job make sure that the SQL instance credentials are set correctly. We will get to view the credentials used in 'Security and Agent Information' popup window.
It is always advised to select the SQL database dynamically to auto select the available databases and auto exclude the dettached databases. The reason being static selection (Half green ) of SQL instance will neither include newly created databases nor exclude the dettached or deleted databases automatically.
Example for Dynamic selection: