This document discusses how to install SQL Express 2008 instance named ARCSERVE_DB
For Supported versions of CA ARCserve database refer to : Compatibility Matrix
CA ARCserve Backup =>Base & Options=>Supported ARCserve Databases (under Backup server column)
Download a supported version of SQL express or use the SQL Express installation executable available in the following directories:-
- Installation media (New Setup):Open CA ARCServe installation media (DVD or the location where the installation media has been extracted) browse to
:\IntelNT\ARCserve\1033\SQLEXPR.exe (for english edition)
- Existing CA ARCserve installation:
- 32-bit server- C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ARCserve Backup\Packages\SqlExpressDB\ SQLEXPR.exe
- 64 bit server- C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\ARCserve Backup\Packages\SqlExpressDB\ SQLEXPR.exe
Step 2: Run SQLEXPR.exe and it will start extracting the installation files
Step 3: Once the folders are extracted click on installation and 'New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation'
Step4: Click on Show Rules and make sure that all passed.
At this stage if it fails on any of the below click here
Step 5: No Product key is required for SQL express edition
Step 6: Accept the License terms.
Step 7: Click on Install and initiate the installation.
Step 8: Click on Show Rules and make sure that all passed.
Step 9: Select 'Database Engine Services'.
Step 10: Specify the Named instance value as ARCSERVE_DB
Step 11:- Make sure that you have sufficient disk space. You can change the installation location in Step 10 if required.
Step 12: You can you NETWORK SERVICE account however on domain controllers please specify a domain account as 'DOMAIN\Administrator'.
Step 13: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_AS is the default collation. Arcserve supports only Case insensitive collation.
Step 14: Select windows authentication mode
Step 15: The data directories can be modified here,
Step 17: Click on Show Rules and make sure that all passed.
Step 18: Proceed further by clicking on install.
Step 19: Make sure that setup process is complete.
Step 20: If the following screen confirms the installation on the instance.
ARCSERVE_DB instance will be created now. we need to run server configuration wizard to create the database.
This procedure has been explained with screenshots in the following knowledge based document How to overwrite CA ARCserve database in R 15 and R 16?
- Failed on Restart Server
- If the sql setup wizard fails in Step 4 by failing on 'Restart server' it is due to existence of 'PendingFileRenameOperations' registry key.
- PATH: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
- Solution:Search MSDN articles for a solution.
- Installation of SQL Express 2008 fail with the error: 'Consistency validation for SQL Server registry keys' failed.
- Refer to the following Knowledge base document:- Click here
- If we suspect a corruption of sql express installable and we can download a supported version of sql express we need to download it from Microsoft Download Center